<title>What is PPC (pay per click) Advertising? How can this build traffic to your website?</title>
<description>Pay-per-click advertising can help you build traffic to your website. Here is what you need to know about PPC ads and programs such as Google AdWords </description>
<keywords>pay-per-click advertising, PPC, PPC ads </keywords>
All About Pay-Per-Click Advertising
If you have a website, one thing that you’ll always want is more traffic. Getting people to notice your site is the key to having success on online and making money on the internet. One way to increase traffic to your site is through pay-per-click (PPC) advertising.
What is Pay-Per-Click Advertising?
Pay-per-click advertising is a method of marketing where advertisers pay a fee each time one of their ads is clicked. One of the most common forms of PPC advertising is search engine advertising. If you’ve spent any time on Google, Bing or other search engines (and who hasn’t!) you’ve likely come across these ads. They’re usually labeled as “sponsored results” or something similar and they often appear above traditional search engine results or in a sidebar.
This priority positioning makes them valuable. When someone searches for a term related to your website, your ad may appear as a sponsored result. This will increase traffic to your site. Many PPC programs allow you to specific or target keywords that you would like to focus on.
With many pay-per-click advertising programs, such as Google AdWords, you bid on keywords. Those who place the highest bids will have their ads displayed more often for the target keywords and the ads will be placed in more preferable locations on the page. More competitive keywords generally cost more to bid on.
While you will have to pay a fee for each click to your website that comes through a PPC ad, the goal of pay-per-click advertising is to generate more money from the visitor than the link costs you. For example, if you pay $2 when someone clicks on an ad, but then that person visits your website and spends $50, the expense was well worth it.
Benefits of PPC Ads
Pay-per-click advertising tends to be more effective than many other types of advertising for several reasons.
- Visitors are more likely to click them
- Since many PPC ads are related to what a user is searching for, people are much more likely to click on the ads. This means that you can potentially draw in much more traffic through PPC ads than you could with other forms of advertising.
- They are more likely to convert
- PPC ads are related to what a user is already searching for or looking at online. This means that they have much higher conversion rates than many other advertising forms.
- For example, if someone is searching for “blue widgets” online and they click a link that is advertising “blue widgets,” you know that this person has a real interest in the topic. Therefore, that this person is much more likely to make a purchase on your “blue widget” website or contact you for more information.
- It’s easy to control your budget
- You only pay when someone clicks on your ad. This means that your advertising dollars will only be spent on actual visitors. Compare this to, for example, buying a billboard on the subway. With the billboard, you pay a flat fee for the ad and you pay this fee even if no one looks at your ad or visits your website. With PPC ads, you only pay for actual visitors.
- Pay-per-click advertising programs, such as Google’s AdWords program, also make it easy to control your budget. You can set a limit for how much you are willing to spend to target a certain keyword and easily create a budget so that your ads will stop airing once you’ve spent a specified amount. This makes it easy to control advertising costs.